Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5816 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Wilbur House, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: Wilbur House, Port Credit
Identifier: HA0017
Date of Original Photo: ca 1907
Date Built: 1847-1848
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Situated at the mouth of the Credit River on the east bank, the Wilbur House was located near the Government Inn. Built in 1847 by Robert Lynd, who had lived in the Government Inn until it was torn down, it was originally called the Commercial Hotel. Lynd initially leased out the building to James Savell, and it was later taken over by George Armstrong. By 1858 Lynd himself had taken over management of the hotel, which he continued until his death in 1872. It was taken over by Mrs. Grafton in 1880. In 1907 the building was bought by A. M. Wilbur who changed the name to the Wilbur House. The building was demolished in 1913 when the Lakeview Inn was built behind it. From the Harold Hare Collection.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851