Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2209 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Government Inn, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: Government Inn, Port Credit
Identifier: HA0036
Date Built: 1798
Image Type: B&W Drawing, 11x7 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare
Location: Lot 11, Conc 3 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Lot 11 Conc 3 SDS. A sketch of Government Inn, at the mouth of the Credit River on the east bank, photographed from John Ross Robertson's "Landmarks of Toronto". Built in 1798 as a stopping house, on orders of Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe, it was leased to various tenants: first, Allan Marchant, then Wesley Watson, who kept it as a tavern. In 1805 it was leased by Thomas Ingersoll (father of Laura Secord) and operated as an inn. It was destroyed by fire in 1861 and rebuilt as a farm house about a mile north of its original location. The new building was leased by the Lynd family who lived there for about twenty years. In 1964 a commemorative plaque was erected on the opposite bank of the Credit River. From the Harold Hare Collection.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851