Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 124 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Alex Durie's Store and the Edith Clarkson Store, Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Alex Durie's Store and the Edith Clarkson Store, Clarkson
Identifier: HA0039
Date of Original Photo: 1910
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x7 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Clarkson (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare
Location: Clarkson's Corners, Lot 28, Conc 2 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A view of Alex Durie's store (right) and the Edith Clarkson Store (left) in Clarkson. Warren Clarkson, Edith's grandfather, built the first grocery store in 1835 on what was to become Clarkson Road. Sometime in the 1860s his sons, William and Henry, took over the store and William opened the first post office in 1875. William was succeeded at the store by his son, Warren Frank, in 1894, and in 1901 Warren turned over the store to his sister, Edith. Alex Durie came to Toronto Township in 1896. In 1908 he leased property from Henry Clarkson which had two buildings on it, east of the Clarkson Railway Station. One building was operated as a store, selling meat, groceries, fruits and vegetables, and the other building was leased to the Merchant Bank. From the Harold Hare Collection.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850