Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2142 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Glen Leven Pond, Lorne Park
  View Full size image
Title: Glen Leven Pond, Lorne Park
Identifier: HA0043
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Ponds - Ontario - Lorne Park (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare
Location: Lot 25, Conc 2 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: George McGill, a Scotsman from Edinburgh, purchased Lot 25, Conc 2 SDS, from William Cawthra in 1851. George and his wife built a house and barn on the property which they called Glen Leven. After George's death in 1861 the property went to his sons, Henry and James. Henry settled on the south section and lived there until 1893 when he died and the property was sold. John Peer bought several acres in 1898 and turned Henry's house into an hotel which he named the Glen Leven Hotel. The pond in this photograph was owned by the hotel and was privately stocked with trout for the use of hotel guests. From the Harold Hare Collection.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851