Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5237 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Stone School, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: Stone School, Port Credit
Identifier: HA0055
Image Type: B&W Drawing, 11.5x7 cm.
Subject: Public schools - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare
Location: Lot 12, Conc 3 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This drawing, taken from Robertson's Landmarks of Toronto, shows the old stone school which was built in 1872. It replaced the previous frame school which was built in 1850 and burned down in 1872. The frame school had been built to replace the original log schoolhouse built in 1833 at the north-east corner of Joseph Cawthra's property, Lot 12, Conc 3, south of the Lakeshore Road. In 1889 the executors of the Cawthra estate turned over the property to School Section #7. In 1893 SS #7 was divided into two sections and a new one-room schoolhouse was built on the north side of Lakeshore Road, east of Cawthra Road. It was opened in 1894 as Lakeview Beach Public School and use of the stone school was discontinued. The building later became a private residence, until 1955 when it was demolished and replaced by a service station. From the Harold Hare Collection.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850