Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 932 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cawthra-Elliot Estate (Lotten), Main Entrance, Dixie
  View Full size image
Title: Cawthra-Elliot Estate (Lotten), Main Entrance, Dixie
Identifier: PH0801
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1926
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x7.5 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Location: 1507 Cawthra Road, Lot 10, Conc 2 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1507 Cawthra Road. Conc 2 SDS, Lot 10. This two-and-a-half storey, five bay facade house in Georgian Revival style was built in 1926 by Grace Cawthra-Elliot on land granted to Joseph Cawthra in 1808. Grace was the granddaughter of Joseph Cawthra. Although she lived at Yeadon Hall in Toronto, this was her summer home. Much of the interior wood panelling came from Yeadon Hall which was built in 1867 by Henry Cawthra, Grace’s father. There were extensive outbuildings: garages, woodsheds and gazebos. There is also the vestige of a formal walled garden. The building was acquired by the City of Mississauga and underwent extensive renovations (not restoration) in 1990. The surrounding woodlot is maintained and managed by the City. Designated under the terms of Ontario Heritage Act. This 1978 photograph shows the main entrance.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851