Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 929 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cawthra-Elliot Estate (Lotten), Gate Pillar, Dixie
  View Full size image
Title: Cawthra-Elliot Estate (Lotten), Gate Pillar, Dixie
Identifier: PH0823
Date of Original Photo: 1984
Date Built: 1926
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x7.5 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Location: 1507 Cawthra Road, Lot 10, Conc 2 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1507 Cawthra Road. Conc 2 SDS, Lot 10. This two-and-a-half storey, five bay facade house in Georgian Revival style was built in 1926 by Grace Cawthra-Elliot on land granted to Joseph Cawthra in 1808. Grace was the granddaughter of Joseph Cawthra. Although she lived at Yeadon Hall in Toronto, this was her summer home. Much of the interior wood panelling came from Yeadon Hall which was built in 1867 by Henry Cawthra, Grace’s father. There were extensive outbuildings: garages, woodsheds and gazebos. There is also the vestige of a formal walled garden. The building was acquired by the City of Mississauga and underwent extensive renovations (not restoration) in 1990. The surrounding woodlot is maintained and managed by the City. Designated under the terms of Ontario Heritage Act. This 1984 photo shows one of the two pillars of the entrance gates to the estate. One pillar has the word "Cawthra" inscribed on it; the other has "Lotten", for Lot 10. The inscription reads: "Crown Grant to Joseph Cawthra and his Heirs Forever, A.D. 1808 Letters Patent A.D. 1804".
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850