Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1378 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cordingley House, Lisgar, Meadowvale
  View Full size image
Title: Cordingley House, Lisgar, Meadowvale
Identifier: PH0885
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1884
Image Type: Col Photo, 11.5x7.5 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Lisgar (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 6671 Ninth Line, pt. Lot 9, Conc 10 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 6671 Ninth Line. Conc 10 NDS, pt. Lot 9. David Cordingley (1782-1867), a dyer in Wigan, Lancashire, England, sailed to Canada with his wife and family, via Pennsylvania, sometime between 1815 and 1819. In 1819 he is listed as living in York. He received the Crown grant for this property in 1836 and took out a mortgage in 1843. It is possible that a portion of the house was built at this time, though the current house was completed in 1884. David sold the property to his son John (1828-1905) in 1848 for 800 and John sold it to his son Solomon (1873-1940) in 1903 for $7500. Solomon left the property to John Dudley Cordingley. The house is a one-and-a-half storey structure, T-shaped in plan, with a section to the south rear believed by the owners to be the original building of board and batten. The gabled roof has a medium pitch and is covered with corrugated metal. There are two brick chimneys, one internally bracketed, and one external. A stone foundation supports walls apparently of frame construction, the whole sheathed in clapboard. The centre gable is trimmed with vergeboard. A single storey bowed window appears on the north side of the main block and is capped with a shallow mansard roof "supported" by paired brackets. The front entrance has a double leafed wooden door with textured glazing in the top half. The door is trimmed with gingerbread. The rear extension has an open verandah along the north side with heavy pierced treillage with brackets. There is a bell tower complete with bell centrally located on top of the roof. Also on the property is a brick outbuilding to the rear of the house. The Cordingley House is listed on the Heritage Register.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851