Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 574 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Britannia School, SS # 12
  View Full size image
Title: Britannia School, SS # 12
Identifier: PH1017
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1864
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Britannia (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 5576 Hurontario Street, pt. Lot 3 E1/2, Conc 1 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 5576 Hurontario Street. Conc 1 WHS, pt. Lot 3 Eż. Britannia School was built in 1864, on 200 acres of land which was granted by the Crown in 1833 to three trustees, William Thompson, James Magrath and Joseph Gardner, for the endowment, support and maintenance of a school. The land was operated as a farm by John Ellis from 1939 to 1971. In 1956 the school was closed. In 1978 the City of Mississauga designated the school as a heritage property and restoration of the school began and was completed in 1982. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851