Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1329 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cooksville Post Office, 1910
  View Full size image
Title: Cooksville Post Office, 1910
Identifier: CK0005
Date of Original Photo: ca 1900
Image Type: B&W Photo
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Cooksville
Location: North East corner of Cook & Dundas

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This building was the home of Herbert Henry Shaver at the corner of Cook and Dundas Streets. Shaver was appointed postmaster on October 16, 1898 and operated the post office out of his house. The first postmaster, J. H. Savigny, had been appointed about 1837. After him several others had been in charge of the Cooksville Post Office, which moved from Jacob's Hotel to the Walter House, and then to Schiller's store. Shaver operated the post office out of this building until 1914 when he had the house demolished and a new two storey red brick structure built on the site at 47 Dundas Street West. Shaver died in 1917 and Hugh Bowden took over the post office which he moved to his Cooksville Pharmacy.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851