Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1327 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cooksville Post Office
  View Full size image
Title: Cooksville Post Office
Identifier: A436
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1914
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Cooksville (Mississauga)
Location: 47 Dundas Street West, Plan TOR 12 Lot 9

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 47 Dundas Street West. Plan Tor 12, Lot 9. On this site, at the corner of Cook and Dundas Streets, Herbert Henry Shaver, who was appointed postmaster October 16, 1898, operated the post office out of his house. The first post office in Cooksville may have been opened about 1837 with J. H. Savigny as the first postmaster. Frank Morley became postmaster in 1839 and the post office was located in Jacob's Hotel, but moved, after the fire of 1852, to the Walter House Hotel. Morley was postmaster until 1867 and was succeeded by John Peaker, who remained in the position till his death in 1873, whereupon his widow, Hannah, took over until 1877. Others in charge of the post office, until Shaver took over in 1898, included T. G. Goulding, Charles Schiller and Sir Melville Parker. In 1914 Shaver had the house demolished and a new house was built, a two storey red brick structure with a gable roof. The post office continued its operation in this building until 1917 when Hugh Bowden took over and moved the post office to his Cooksville Pharmacy. Listed on the Heritage Register.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851