Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5594 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Toronto International Airport, Malton
  View Full size image
Title: Toronto International Airport, Malton
Identifier: HF0206
Date of Original Photo: ca 1974
Image Type: Transparency, 5.5x5.5 cm
Subject: Airports - Ontario - Toronto Metropolitan Area
Donor: Friends of the Mississauga Library System

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Toronto International Airport, photographed from Derry Road at Dixie Road. The airport was built in 1937 on land purchased by the Port Authority of the City of Toronto, south of Malton. This land consisted of thirteen farms, some of the best farm land in the province. The purchase price ranged from $120 per acre to $210 per acre. Three runways were constructed, each 3,000 feet long and 150 feet wide, only two of which were paved. In 1938 the first aircraft to land there was an American Airlines DC-3. The Airport was renamed Toronto International Airport in 1960 and officially renamed Lester B. Pearson International Airport in 1984. Photographed by Bert Hoferichter, MPA.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851