|Description: A 14 carat yellow gold necklace with three double scallop shell pendants. The necklace chain is a twisted curb link chain. The central pendent is larger and has a central mounted light blue synthetic spinel with two smaller clear quartz stones set on the lower shell. There are two oval purplish red oval garnets set on either side of the central clear spinel and three small garnets placed alternately between the quartz stones on the lower shell. The two smaller side double shell pendants are the same style. There is a central purplish red oval garnet with three smaller garnets set alternately between two clear quartz stones. Similar in style to 2005.1.17 & 979.6.1180. May be a set.|
History: Parure is a matching set of jewellery usually a necklace, brooch, earrings, and a bracelet. Parures were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries. Demi-parures are smaller sets of jewellery such as earrings and a brooch or earrings and a necklace.
Ostentatious French jewellery of the era of Louis Philippe (1830-1848) and its English counterpart were inspired by the court styles of the 18th century and particularly Rococo. Large coloured stones (or pastes over coloured foils) were set in scrollwork of swirling leaves, tendrils, flowers and rocaille (rococo ornament based on sea shells and crustacean) to give an illusion of depth and weight while really being stamped out of thin sheets of gold.
Kathleen Agnes Sayers neť Colloton (1907 -1981) was the wife of Geoffrey Sayers. Kathleen, known as Kay, married Geoffrey in 1933 at St. Peterís Anglican Church in Erindale. Kay and Geoffrey never had any children and were the last Harris relatives to live at Benares. This jewellery was part of Kay Sayers Estate and was donated by Geoffrey Sayers. Many of these pieces were originally from inheritances through the Harris and Draper families.