Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 492 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Bowl
Identifier: 2005.4.4
Donor: Barbara Larson
Item Date: c.1890
Image Creator: Museums of Mississuaga
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A hand-painted porcelain bowl, with a slightly scalloped rim. The porcelain is white, with a pale green inner rim, approximately 3 mm deep. The painted design is a gold painted border (10-15 mm), with transfer pink and white roses with green leaves on a pale green background. There are small flecks of white paint raised on the transfer. The base is 7.5 x 0.8 cm. There is a mark and the word 'SILESIA' stamped on the base in grey. There is also an initial painted on the back in rose-brown.

History: The bowl was painted by Maude (Sutherland) Firth, who was Mary Magrath Harris' first cousin. Maude and her twin sister, Carrie, were born to John Newton and Caroline Sutherland in 1872. John Newton was the youngest son of Edward Sutherland and brother to Fanny and Christiana (Mary Magrath Harris' mother). Maude was an amateur artist who enjoyed painting floral scenes on ceramics. Maude married Robert Firth in 1898, and had a daughter, Daphne. Maude lived to be 100 years old, dying in 1972.

Captain Edward Sutherland (1796-1885) married Christiana Coffin in 1826 and they had seven children. After the death of his wife in 1852, Captain Sutherland settled in Clarkson with the family in 1856. He purchased "Bush's Inn", a former inn and coach house, and renamed it "Woodburn". It was here that Edward became the first to introduce both strawberry and raspberry cultivation in the area. Edward was an accomplished artist and became a member of the Ontario Society of Artists (1872-75) and exhibited with this society in 1873. His works have been described in J. Russell Harper "Early Painters and Engravers in Canada" (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1970), 301.

The bowl originally belonged to Dora Sayers Caro, who inherited it when the house was divided between the three siblings (Geoffrey, Dora and Barbara) when Naomi passed away in 1968. When Dora passed away in 2004, she left the bowl to Barbara.

Items donated by Barbara Sayers Larson. Barbara Larson is the daughter of Annie Harris (1882-1986) and Beverly Sayers (1883-1976) and granddaughter of Arthur (1843-1932) and Mary (1859-1954) Harris. Barbara was born January 27, 1920 and was the youngest of three children. Barbara and her siblings, Geoffrey Sayers (1907-1997) and Dora Sayers Caro (1915-2004) donated Benares to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1968 after inheriting it from their aunt, Naomi Harris (1883-1968). Many of the items donated by Barbara originally belonged to her mother or Aunt Naomi and came from Benares. Barbara lived in a log cabin originally given to her mother by her grandparents at 1723 Birchwood Drive. She still maintains a close tie with Benares and is now living in Kelowna, British Columbia, with her daughter.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
pcomapp02:8851