Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1540 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Derry West Cemetery Plaque
Identifier: MVC-0155 Disk 1
Date of Original Photo: 2005
Image Type: Photograph
Subject: Derry West Cemetery Plaque
Image Creator: Administration & Cemeteries
Creation Date: 10/06/2005
Location: Derry West Cemetery

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This historic plaque was erected by a local women's group to commemorate the cemetery. The plaque reads as follows:

Historic Plaque of Derry West 1829 - Derry West - 1973

This is the site of the original Hurontario Church (Anglican). In 1822 Joseph Carter received a Crown grant for 200 acres, Lot 11, Con 1, W.H.S., Toronto Twp. On this portion he built a small log church which opened July 27, 1829.

The cornerstone was christened by whiskey bought from the hotel across the road. Bishop Strachan said "I heard that this church was begun in drunkenness and ribaldry" so he refused Carter Holy Orders. Carter, broken-hearted, sold the farm to Wm. Orr, reserving 1/2 acre on which the church sat, deeding it to the Church of England.

In 1843 a mud brick replaced the old church and opposite a small rough cast Presbyterian church was built.

Derry West was named by George Graham to honour his forefathers who fought at Londonderry, Ireland.

Derry West had the first Post Office in Peel Co. in 1826.

No. 10 L.O.L., built their first hall west of the corner (origin of Derry West District Lodge).

Beside the cemetery stood a small brick Armories used at the time of Fenian raids, (1865).

Taverns, a temperance hall, blacksmith, shoemaker and carpenter shop with horse sheds made up Derry West in 1857 with a population of 100.

Through the years there have been 3 schools here.

In 1867 Derry West was swept with fire; little remained and the small hamlet never regained the former prominence of those early years.

Erected by the Derry West Women's Institute and Community.
pcomapp01:8851