Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 591 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Britannia United Church
Identifier: E579
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1843
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Britannia (Mississauga)
Location: 5961 Hurontario Street

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 5961 Hurontario Street. Conc 1 EHS, pt. Lot 5 W . The church was built in 1843 of bricks made of mud and clay taken from a field belonging to Peter Dunton across from the church. In 1864 the church was enlarged and redecorated, and remains as it is at present. The original plank pews were replaced by white pews with small doors at the aisle, and the balcony was built. In 1897 the basement was excavated and the first furnace installed. Five modern oil lamps replaced the large middle chandelier, the present vestibule was built and the church was again redecorated. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850