Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5027 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: St. Cuthbert's Church, Oakville
Identifier: BA0010
Date Built: 1919
Image Type: B&W Photo, 10x6 cm
Subject: St. Cuthbert's Anglican Church (Oakville, Ont.)

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: St. Cuthbert's Anglican Church was originally built on the Town Line. In 1915 a Mrs. Scholefield and a group of her friends saw the need of establishing church services for those who were too far from church centres for regular attendance. The church began as a Mission Hall and the first services were held there on 30 April 1916. The building was dedicated in 1917 but was not consecrated as it would be needed for community meetings. Although the ritual was Anglican the church was also used for Lutheran services once a month. A new chuch was built and opened in 1919 with gifts from other churches such as pews from the Methodist Church in Brampton. The frontal on the altar was the gift of St. Thomas Church in Toronto. The reredos was given by Miss Langridge in memory of her father and mother.In 1956 St. Cuthbert's was re-located to the Ninth Line.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851