Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4130 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Photgraph - Erindale Estate
Identifier: 979.6.396
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: c. 1910
Image Creator: unknown
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A black and white photograph showing the side view of a brick home ( Erindale) partially obsured by trees. The photograph has been professionally conserved in archival matting.

Erindale was the family home of the Magraths and home of Mary Harris before she married Arthur Harris in 1881. After William's death in 1888, Erindale was sold and left the Magrath family. Mary Harris was reputed to have inherited $50,000 from the estate. Along with money, Mary also inherited many pieces of furniture including the buffet, side table, and marble fireplace mantles (located in the Living Room and Drawing Room).The new 'Erindale' house was built after the original house was destroyed by fire on the 3rd of March, 1867. The Magraths moved into a cottage on the Erindale property until the new 'Erindale' could be built. William Magrath (1814-1888), who had inherited this house and property from his father, Reverend James Magrath, hired the Toronto architects Gundry and Langley who provided plans for a large brick house in the Italianate style. Erindale Estate was comprised of several hundred acres of land, many outbuildings and five houses for farm labourers as well as the new Erindale and older Magrath cottage.

This second Erindale burned again during a storm in 1920.
Copyright: Museums of Mississuaga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851