Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3512 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Milk Glass Plate
Identifier: 1999.3.11
Donor: Margaret Day
Item Date: c. 1910
Image Creator: Museums of Mississuaga
Creation Date: 2005
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A rectangular shaped white milk glass plate. The middle of the plate is slightly concave. The plate contains rounded edges. The milk glass contains a flower and has a vine-like design. There are remnants of paint around the edge where the flower design is. The paint appears to have been a gold colour but now it is green.

Milk glass is a term used by glass makers to describe an opaque white glass. The German term is 'milch-glass', the Italian term is 'lattimo', and the French term is 'blanc-de-lait' or 'verre-de-lait'. Milk glass was first developed in Venice in the 14th or 15th Century. The white opaque colour was made by adding in tin oxide. In the 17th and 18th Century it was very popular to decorate this glass with enamel paint

During the 19th and 20th century, a great deal of pressed opaque white glass was made. This inexpensive glassware was also known by names such as Vitro-Porcelain or Porcelain Glass. This is the kind of white glass that is usually collected by milk glass collectors. Manufacturers often made other colours in the same patterns, especially blue, which have been classified as milk glass as well, but are not the colour of milk. This makes it confusing and hard for the researcher looking for information concerning 'real' milk glass.
Copyright: Museums of Mississuaga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississuaga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850