|Description: 1675 Lakeshore Road West. The building was already 100 years old when it was purchased and operated as the Clarkson Fruit Market. It was first moved to Lakeshore Road and Clarkson Road, then later to its present location at Lakeshore Road and Meadowood Road. In 1931 it was purchased by Grace Fairbairn who, with her sister, Agnes, operated it as Clarkson Market Antiques. |
An advertisement for the Clarkson Market in The Highways & Byways of Ontario Automobile Road Guide, 1923, states: This building is now the central Clearing House for the Antique Treasures of Rural Ontario, filled with the things that give joy to lovers of the artistic and useful. Mahogany and Walnut, from the massive four-poster to dainty tea-caddies, old china, brass, Sheffield plate; also Canadian handicraft pottery, metal work, home hand-braided rugs and original decorative work. Visitors welcomed.