Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3061 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lorne Park Estates, Aerial View
Identifier: R111
Date of Original Photo: 1972
Date Built: 1879
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Lorne Park Estates (Mississauga, Ont.)
Donor: Ralph Crysler

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: In 1971 the firm of Crysler & Lathem, consulting engineers, was retained by the Credit Valley Conservation Authority to prepare a plan for the development of the Mississauga waterfront sector of the Metropolitan Toronto Planning Area. Lorne Park Estates was one of the areas they covered. The land on which Lorne Park Estates is today was unclaimed land until late in the 1850s. In 1877 it belonged to J. and W. Orr, when it was discovered by Toronto residents and became a popular amusement park Lorne Park was officially opened on May 24, 1879 by the Marquis of Lorne, Governor-General of Canada. The amusement park contained a shooting gallery, swings, slides, a merry-go-round, dancing, a pavilion and a restaurant. There was also a bowling green and tennis courts. The area is private property and the residents, not the City, are responsible for the roads.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851