Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4274 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Port Credit Memorial Park
Identifier: N181
Date of Original Photo: 1984
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Parks - Ontario - Mississauga

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 25 Front Street North. Plan 300W Howards Strip. The land on which Port Credit Memorial Park is built was originally marsh land with thick dense grass which would quite often catch fire in the summer and burn. Part of this marshland was dredged and Lakeshore Park was created, but the eastern section extending north towards the railroad bridge was not developed. It was part of a large area which had first been owned by the Mississauga Indians and then was deeded to James Cotton in 1854. In 1907 the fifteen acres along the Credit was sold by the Peel General Manufacturing Company to Isobella A. Faulkner, who, in 1923, turned the land over to the village to cover unpaid tax bills. This land was known generally as "Faulkner Marsh". In 1953 the Village of Port Credit decided to fill in the marsh with sanitary landfill and create a park on the site. Memorial Park was opened in the 1960s with playing fields, paths and planting to mark Canada's Centennial in 1967. The new Port Credit Public Library was also built there in 1962.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850