Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 448 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Bickell Carriage House, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Bickell Carriage House, Erindale
Identifier: D257
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1931
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Location: 2025 Mississauga Road

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 2025 Mississauga Road. This is a two-storey structure known as the Carriage House of the Bickell Estate at 1993 Mississauga Road North. The main house on the estate is a two-storey stuccoed brick and stone structure, built in Spanish Eclectic style. Originally known as Acadia, it was designed by famed theatre architect, Murray Brown, and built in 1929 for John Paris Bickell, a Toronto mining magnate. It was one of several summer homes built by members of the Mississaugua Golf and Country Club in the area near to the Club. Bickellís home was one of the first year-round residences. J. P. Bickell became a millionaire by the age of thirty and was President and later Chairman of McIntyre-Porcupine Mines. He also owned the Toronto St. Pat's hockey club, forerunner of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and helped to finance Maple Leaf Gardens. During World War II he directed Malton's Victory Aircraft, which manufactured Lancaster bombers for the Royal Canadian Air Force. Bickell died in 1951, leaving an estate of over 14 million dollars, of which 13 million went to establish the J. P. Bickell Foundation, principal beneficiary of which was the Hospital for Sick Children. The house was bought in 1952 by Allen Elias Rosen. When he died in 1972 the house was bought by Bruce McLaughlin, developer of Mississauga's city centre. The property is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851