Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 850 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Carload Groceterias
Identifier: BA0074
Image Type: B&W Photo, 10.5x7 cm
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Clarkson

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This was originally the William Clarkson store at Clarkson's Corners and included the post office which opened in 1882. Edith Clarkson operated the store and post office until her death in 1919, and the buildings were rented by Harold U. Hare in 1920. He remained postmaster till 1925. The business was bought by William Thomas McCord in 1926 and became the Red & White Store until 1937 when it was purchased by Harry Gerhart. He appointed David Terry as postmaster and operated the store as Carload Grocetaria. Terry remained as postmaster until 1945 when Gerhart took over the post office. The business was bought in 1947 by John Bodley who changed the business from a general store to groceries only. By this time the post office had been moved to an adjacent building.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851