|Description: 1390 Clarkson Road North.The following is from the history of the cemetery, in the transcription by the Halton Peel Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. "Originally Chambers Spring Creek Grave Ground, it may be the oldest burial ground in Peel County. One stone, 'In memory of ', in the cemetery dates back to 1812, though we cannot be sure that the person in question was buried there. The earliest written record is a minutes and account book dated 1848. |
Prior to 1824 the land was owned by absentee landlords residing in the Town of York (Toronto). The first resident owner was William Kelly, who obtained a deed for 120 acres in 1824. He subsequently sold the farm in two portions in 1827 and 1828, the latter portion, which included the burial ground, being purchased by John Chambers of Toronto Township. The minutes of 1848 state that prior to 1837 the trustees of the cemetery were John Chambers, Warren Clarkson and Nathaniel Hemhill. The earliest family names in the cemetery include Greeniaus, Pollard, Gable, Bradley, Merigold, Hendershot, Marlatt, Shook, Oliphant, Hemphill, Savage, Oughtred, Peer, Lawrence, Munn, Kelly, Smith and Clarkson."