Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5293 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Heman, Mary and John Hyde
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville Memorial Cemetery - Heman, Mary and John Hyde
Identifier: Heman, Mary and John Hyde
Image Type: Photograph
Subject: Heman, Mary and John Hyde
Image Creator: Administration & Cemeteries
Creation Date: November 2, 2005
Location: Streetsville Memorial Cemetery

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Heman Hyde 1771 - 1836

Mary Hyde 1776 - 1857

Heman a native of Milton, Vermont died at 65. He married Mary Hyde and they had three sons: John Church, Nathan Blood and Alvin. Mary died at 81.

Heman owned Hyde's Inn on the north west corner of Main and Church which he purchased from John Embleton in 1825.

The Hyde family were the foremost inn keepers in Streetsville's history and prominent for 40 years. Heman also owned a flower mill and they were one of the most prosperous families in Streetsville.

John Church Hyde Died 1876

John was the son of Mary and Heman Hyde. He took over the tavern license for Hyde's Inn in 1831 and sold it in 1847. John built a commercial empire in the 1850's consisting of a flour mill, saw mill, stave factory and cooperage. He opened a new general store at the northeast corner of Queen and Ontario called Ontario Warehouse which employed nine clerks. Adjacent to the store was a dwelling, described as one of the finest in the village. John married Cornelia Rutledge in September 1854.

John built the brick 3 storey Reciprocity Hotel on the corner of Queen and Ontario, which had sixty bedrooms, a ballroom on the second floor, held 500 quests, a stable that accommodated 50 horses and a veranda. Concerts, balls and public meetings were held in what came to be called Hyde's Hall.

At the end of the Crimean War in March 1856, John like many other millers, was nearly ruined by the plunging wheat market, however his diversified interests where able to keep his head above water for some time, and in 1859 he was still described as a merchant miller, proprietor of Ontario Mills. He was the Reeve of Toronto Township for a time and the meetings were often held at the hotel. In 1861 John lost his mill to Gooderham and Worts who converted it to a flax mill.

John was once described as the moving spirit of Streetsville, an upright man, a true friend of the friendless, and one whose hand was always open to render assistance to the needy.
pcomapp01:8851