Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2247 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Graydon Block, Streetsville
  View Full size image
Title: Graydon Block, Streetsville
Identifier: D720
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1891
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: 233 Queen Street South, Plan STR 4, pt. Lot 1

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 233 Queen Street South. Plan STR 4, pt. Lot 1. This is a two-and-a-half storey structure, designed as a commercial building. William John Graydon, nephew of builder John, commissioned the store in 1891. It accommodated two stores with dwellings to the rear and upstairs. The first noted business was a stove and tinware shop in 1893. William Morris Leader purchased the property in 1932. Leader renovated the building in 1940, deepening the stores to comprise the entire ground floor and creating two modern apartments on the upper storeys. Leader operated a general store and lived above it until 1945 when he leased the property to Phillip and Henry Scheid to operate Streetsville Hardware. It was at this time that a rear addition was added. The building is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851