Browse & Search All Images
Displaying image 3149 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Malcolm’s Store, Malton
Identifier: C382
Date Built: 1860
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Malton (Mississauga)

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Airport Road and Scarboro Street. Originally the T. B. Allen Store which was located at Lot 11 Conc 6 EHS and was the first store at the Four Corners. Built ca 1860, it was later moved north of the four corners to Scarboro Street and Airport Road. Joseph B. Allen was the postmaster from 1862 to 1876. Thomas B. Allen was postmaster from 1876 till 1888, and Daniel Allen was postmaster from 1888 to 1905. James Albert (Bert) McBride purchased the store from Daniel Allen in 1903, and was himself postmaster form 1905 till 1907, when he sold the store to Norman Malcolm, who became postmaster until his death in 1927. His son, Les Malcolm later took over the store and operated it till it closed in 1966. It was still standing in 1972, but was later demolished.
Agency: Mississauga Library System