Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5313 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Streetsville Monument Company.
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville Monument Company.
Identifier: D825
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: ca 1880
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: 258 Queen Street South, Plan STR, 4, pt. Lot2, 8

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 258 Queen Street South. Plan STR, 4, pt. Lot 2, 8. The building in which Streetsville Monument Company was located was originally a blacksmith shop, built about 1880 and later operated by Lewis Pope and then by his son, Anson. Lewis Pope, originally from Trafalgar Township, was living in Streetsville, according to the 1911 census, and his occupation was given as blacksmith. Next door to the blacksmith shop was a residence which was later demolished. A funeral home was built in its place and both buildings were operated by Lenvard Lee (1910-1969) who purchased them about 1935 and turned the blacksmith shop into Streetsville Monument Company. After Lee's death his son, James D. Lee, took over operation of the funeral home, which as of 2008 was still located at 258 Queen Street South. Streetsville Monument Company, the former blacksmith shop, was a one-and-a-half storey structure with a gable roof, originally constructed of red clay brick and later covered with stucco and angel stone along the lower half of the front fašade. The building, which was previously listed on the Heritage Register, was demolished some time after 1989.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851