Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4448 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Reid Milling Company, Streetsville
Identifier: F848
Date Built: ca 1830s
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Flour mills - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 27 Reid Drive

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 27 Reid Drive. Conc 4 WHS Lot 2. Photograph shows the loading area. The mill site, established by the Beaty family in the 1830s, remained in continuous operation under several managers, including Noah Barnhart in the 1850s, until taken over by D. W. Reid in 1895. The plant, with continuing upgrading is still in operation and processes soft wheat flour now operates as the Kraft Mississauga Mill.

The Ontario Heritage Foundation erected the following plaque on the site:This flour mill was built on the Credit River southeast of the village of Streetsville in the mid-1830s by John Beaty and by 1861 had an annual capacity of 12,000 barrels of flour. The mill employed four pairs of milling stones, which were replaced by roller processing in the late 1800s to produce finer qualities of flour. The Beaty family and leaseholders operated the mill until 1895 when miller Duncan Reid took over the operation, buying it from the Beaty estate in 1902. Reid, his children and grandchildren owned the mill until 1965 when Paul Helliwell purchased the complex. It was sold to Christie Brown and Company in 1969 and acquired by Kraft in 2000. The original mill, hidden inside the milling complex, and the mill dam, which survives, played an important role in Ontario's commercial and industrial history.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850