Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 101 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Administration Building, Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Malton
Identifier: F984
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Airports - Ontario

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The airport was built in 1937 on land purchased by the Port Authority of the City of Toronto, south of Malton. This land consisted of thirteen farms, some of the best farm land in the province. The purchase price ranged from $120 per acre to $210 per acre. Three runways were constructed, each 3,000 feet long and 150 feet wide, only two of which were paved. In 1938 the first aircraft to land there was an American Airlines DC-3. The Airport was renamed Toronto International Airport in 1960 and officially renamed Lester B. Pearson International Airport in 1984. This photograph was taken in 1978, and shows the Administration Building. Behind it was the Terminal One building, which has since been demolished. A new Terminal One building was erected as the Airport has greatly expanded.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850