Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2963 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Malton
Identifier: F987
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Airports - Ontario

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Built in 1937 on land purchased by the Port Authority of the City of Toronto, south of Malton. This land consisted of thirteen farms, some of the best farm land in the province. The purchase price ranged from $120 per acre to $210 per acre. Three runways were constructed, each 3,000 feet long and 150 feet wide, only two of which were paved. In 1938 the first aircraft to land there was an American Airlines DC-3. The building was used as the airport terminal until 1949 when it became an operations and administration centre.

The Airport was renamed Toronto International Airport in 1960 and officially renamed Lester B. Pearson International Airport in 1984. The Terminal One building has since been demolished and a new Terminal One building erected as the Airport has greatly expanded. This view of the Airport and runways, in 1978 when it was still called Toronto International Airport.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850