Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1818 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Erindale Power House and Dam
Identifier: K370
Date Built: 1910-1911
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Hydroelectric power plants - Ontario - Mississauga
Donor: Lorne Joyce

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The Erindale Dam was completed in 1910-11 by the Erindale Light and Power Company. Electricity was supplied to the village of Erindale and also to New Toronto and West Toronto. Ontario Hydro bought the plant in 1916 and continued to operate it until 1923 when the Chippewa plant near Niagara came into operation. The dam was abandoned, and blown up in 1941, due to technical problems. The area became a famous swimming spot until 1977 when the remains of the powerhouse were removed.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851