Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2210 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Government Inn Heritage Plaque, Port Credit
Identifier: K884
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1964
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historical markers - Ontario - Port Credit

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Plaque commemorating the site of Government Inn at Lot 11 Conc 3 SDS, Port Credit. Built in 1798 as a stopping house, on orders of Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe, it was leased to various tenants: first, Allan Marchant, then Wesley Watson, who kept it as a tavern. In 1805 it was leased by Thomas Ingersoll (father of Laura Secord), and operated as an inn. It was destroyed by fire in 1861 and rebuilt as a farm house about a mile north of its original location. In 1964 a commemorative plaque was erected on the opposite bank of the Credit River.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850