|Description: The Erindale Dam was completed in 1910-11 by the Erindale Light and Power Company. Electricity was supplied to the village of Erindale and also to New Toronto and West Toronto. Ontario Hydro bought the plant in 1916 and continued to operate it until 1923 when the Chippewa plant near Niagara came into operation. The dam was abandoned, and blown up in 1941, due to technical problems. |
The area became a famous swimming spot until 1977 when the remains of the powerhouse were removed. This photos shows repairs to the dam after the flood of 1912. Copy by Mississauga Library system of a photograph courtesy of Margaret Weller, in Jean Adamson, Erindale at the crook of the Credit, 1978.