Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2967 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Malton
Identifier: M704
Date of Original Photo: 1983
Date Built: 1937
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Lester B. Pearson International Airport

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The airport was built in 1937 on land purchased by the Port Authority of the City of Toronto, south of Malton. This land consisted of thirteen farms, some of the best farm land in the province. The purchase price ranged from $120 per acre to $210 per acre. Three runways were constructed, each 3,000 feet long and 150 feet wide, only two of which were paved. In 1938 the first aircraft to land there was an American Airlines DC-3.

The Airport was renamed Toronto International Airport in 1960 and officially renamed Lester B. Pearson International Airport in 1984. The Terminal One building has since been demolished and a new Terminal One building erected as the Airport has greatly expanded. This photograph was taken in July 1983 when the airport was known as Toronto International Airport.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850