|Description: Lot 11 Conc 6 EHS. First store at the Four Corners. Built ca 1860, it was later moved north of the four corners to Scarboro Street and Airport Road. Joseph B. Allen was the postmaster from 1862 to 1876. Thomas B. Allen was postmaster from 1876 till 1888, and Daniel Allen was postmaster from 1888 to 1905. James Albert (Bert) McBride purchased the store from Daniel Allen in 1903, and was himself postmaster form 1905 till 1907, when he sold the store to Norman Malcolm, who became postmaster until his death in 1927. His son, Les Malcolm later took over the store and operated it till it closed in 1966. |
It was still standing in 1972, but was later demolished. Slide of an exhibit in Bygone Malton, a display of quilts by Annie May Lewis Johnston, at the Malton District Library, 1978.