Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1160 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Clarkson Market
  View Full size image
Title: Clarkson Market
Identifier: MC0273
Date Built: ca 1827
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Clarkson (Mississauga)
Location: Lakeshore Road

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This building was already about 90 years old when it was purchased in 1917 by Sydney Preston and operated as the Clarkson Fruit Market. It had originally been a barn, built about 1827 of hand hewn timbers and beams. It was first moved to Lakeshore Road and Clarkson Road, then later to its present location at Lakeshore Road and Meadowood Road. In 1931 it was purchased from the estate of Sydney Preston by Grace Fairbairn who had worked with Preston, and who with her sister, Agnes, operated it as Clarkson Market Antiques, also known as the Barn Antiques. An advertisement for the Clarkson Market in The Highways & Byways of Ontario Automobile Road Guide, 1923, states: "This building is now the central Clearing House for the Antique Treasures of Rural Ontario, filled with the things that give joy to lovers of the artistic and useful. Mahogany and Walnut, from the massive four-poster to dainty tea-caddies, old china, brass, Sheffield plate; also Canadian handicraft pottery, metal work, home hand-braided rugs and original decorative work. Visitors welcomed." The original photograph is in the William Perkins Bull Collection at the Region of Peel Archives.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850