Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3434 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Meadowvale Mill
  View Full size image
Title: Meadowvale Mill
Identifier: MC0277
Date of Original Photo: ca 1930s
Date Built: ca 1856
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Meadowvale (Mississauga)

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The site for the mill was acquired in 1840 by Francis Silverthorn on the north side of Derry Road West, and by 1844 he had built a saw and grist mill. Silverthorn was able to provide lumber for the plank roads being built at the time. However, in 1848 the mill was destroyed by fire and Silverthorn rebuilt it in 1851, adding a store to the enterprise. The mill was again destroyed by fire in 1853 and was rebuilt in 1856. By 1860 Silverthorn had sold the mill to Gooderham and Worts, who also owned the Alpha Mills in Streetsville. After 1890 the mill was sold to Wheeler Brothers of Stouffville, and then to Henry Brown in 1897-8 who ran it for a number of years. After that there were other owners, including W. J. Brett, Stanley Gorman and L. Emerson. The mill ceased operation in 1950 and was demolished in April 1954. This photograph is a postcard, on the back of which is written in pencil "Miss Grace Brown". The original photograph is in the William Perkins Bull Collection at the Region of Peel Archives.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850