Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3521 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Mill Fire, Streetsville
  View Full size image
Title: Mill Fire, Streetsville
Identifier: MC0278
Date of Original Photo: 1929
Date Built: ca 1821
Image Type: B&W Photo, 17x12.5 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: According to Mary Manning, Timothy Street, the founder of Streetsville, built a brush dam on the Credit River about 1821 to furnish power for a grist mill. He also built a sawmill. The 1851 census describes his mill as the first in the area. After Timothy's death in 1848 the grist mill passed to Timothy's son, John, but operation of the mill was in the hands of John Symons and his sons. By 1856 the mills were owned by John Blain, and by 1864 ownership had passed to Gooderham and Worts. James G. Worts sold the mill to John Henry Dracass by about 1881 and Dracass ran it for about 40 years. Dracass gave up milling in 1919 and at least two other owners were operating the mill until it was bought in October 1928 by V. C. Johnston. Unfortunately a disastrous fire, caused by friction from an elevator rope, destroyed the mill on September 12, 1929. At the time of the fire the bins were filled with 50,000 bushels of grain, all of which were destroyed. On the back of the photograph is written in pencil "End of original 'Street' mill at Streetsville 1928 or 29. Frank Vipond 10 Beechwood Avenue Toronto." The original photograph is in the William Perkins Bull Collection at the Region of Peel Archives
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850