Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5538 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Thorne Lodge, Brick Gates, Erindale
Identifier: BA0205
Date Built: 1821
Image Type: B&W Photo, 10x6 cm
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Erindale
Location: Erindale, Lot 32, Conc 1 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Thorne Lodge was built in 1821 for Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Adamson, on 200 acres near the Credit River, between Dundas Street and the Middle Road (Queen Elizabeth Way), in the area later known as Sheridan Homelands. It was originally called Toronto House, then Thorne Lodge, from the hawthorn trees brought from England and planted there. General Adamsonís brother, Dr Joseph Adamson, the first doctor in Peel County, practised medicine there.

The building was a four-sided structure with an inner courtyard, about three-quarters of it built of stone. The south side and part of the west wing were frame, and the west wing was called the Assembly Hall, and used for meetings and dances, as well as church services before the first church in Erindale was built. On May 23, 1965, the building caught fire and burned down.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850