Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 823 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Captain Brant's House at Wellington Square
Identifier: MC0058
Date of Original Photo: ca 1861
Image Type: B&W Drawing
Subject: Brant, Joseph, 1742-1807

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Engraving of Captain Brant's house, facing page 213 of "History of the Ojebway Indians: with Especial Reference to their Conversion to Christianity" by Rev. Peter Jones. Peter Jones (1802-1856) was the son of the surveyor Augustus Jones and his Indian wife, Tuhbenahneequay. He is famed as a Methodist missionary to the Mississauga Indians. He became a Methodist in 1823 and was ordained in the Wesleyan Methodist church in 1833, ministering to the Mississauga Indians at the Credit Mission, Port Credit for over 20 years. He translated the gospels into the Mississauga language and wrote a history of the Ojibway nation. In 1829 the Credit band elected him as one of their chiefs. As official spokesperson he travelled regularly to York (Toronto) and in 1837 visited England on their behalf. The Credit band relocated to land provided by the Six Nations Indians in 1847. In 1851 with his wife, Eliza Field, he retired due to ill health to his home at Echo Villa in Brantford where he died in 1856.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850