Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5294 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Streetsville Memorial Cemetery Historic Plaque
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville Memorial Cemetery Historic Plaque
Identifier: MC0313
Date of Original Photo: 1982
Image Type: Col Photo, 9x13 cm
Subject: Historical markers - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Donor: Harold and Valda Leslie
Location: 299 Queen Street South

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The Historic Plaque at Streetsville Memorial Cemetery. It reads, "By 1825, six years after the first settlers came into this part of Toronto Township, a thriving community containing grist and saw mills, a tannery and a distillery, had developed here on the Credit River. Named after Timothy Street, who began several of the early industries and donated land for this cemetery, Streetsville had a population of 500 by 1837 and was the largest village in the Home District. While several industries, notably Hyde Mills, flourished during the 1940's, Streetsville lost its dominance in this region when it failed to obtain railway connections until 1879. It was incorporated as a Village, with about 1000 inhabitants, in 1858 and as a Town in 1962. Twelve years later, it became part of the City of Mississauga."
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851