Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4006 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Owens-Baylay House, Streetsville
  View Full size image
Title: Owens-Baylay House, Streetsville
Identifier: PH1140
Date of Original Photo: 1990
Date Built: 1850-1860
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 1230 Eglinton Avenue West, pt. Lot 6, Conc Range 5 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1230 Eglinton Avenue West. Range 5 NDS, pt. Lot 6. Formerly 1330 Eglinton Ave. W. but address was changed to 1230 in 1990. Built in the 1850s, it is an example of vernacular mid-nineteenth century Ontario farmhouse incorporating Georgian Neo-classical and Italianate detailing. The property was patented by the Crown to William McIntosh in 1836, and was owned briefly by several owners till 1845-6 when John Crumbie sold 6¿ acres to Patrick Owens, a blacksmith. Owens built a blacksmith’s shop and log house on the property and probably built the present brick house in 1850-1860. The property was sold in 1886 to George Crozier. In 1935 it was purchased by W. F. Baylay who made several changes to the structure and demolished the outbuildings. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851