Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 838 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Carberry House, Rubble Foundation, Cooksville
  View Full size image
Title: Carberry House, Rubble Foundation, Cooksville
Identifier: PH1194
Date of Original Photo: 1979
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x7.5 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Cooksville (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 241 Eglinton Avenue East, Lot 1 E1/2, Conc 1 EHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 241 Eglinton Avenue East. Conc 1 EHS, lot 1 Eż. This was a vernacular Regency one-and-a-half storey, three bay house, which had a rectangular plan with a one storey, three bay addition to the back, forming an L-shaped plan. The foundations were rubble, and the walls coarse stone and mortar, stuccoed. The medium pitched gable roof had boxed eaves, a plain frieze, and cornice returns. There were four internally bracketed chimneys, one at the north end of the kitchen addition, one at the west gable end, and two at the east, one of which was a later addition. The original front entrance had a rectangular transom over the door only, and long sidelights. John Carberry bought the land from Thomas Anderson in 1836, and the family lived there until 1962. Previously listed on the Heritage Register, it was demolished in 1985. This 1979 photo shows rubble foundation of the west side addition to the house.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851