Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3022 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lloyd Refinery Tanker Bruce Hudson, Fort Erie, 1935
Identifier: TX0004
Date of Original Photo: 1935
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11x6.5 cm
Subject: Tankers
Donor: Texaco Canada Ltd
Location: 250 Lakeshore Road West

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Photo shows the launching of the Lloyd Refinery tanker, Bruce Hudson in 1935. Lloyd's Refinery was erected in 1932 on the site of the old Port Credit Brick Yard by L. B. Lloyd of Lloyd’s Tankers and went by the name of Lloyd Refineries Ltd. It consisted of a small crude Stilling Unit and nine storage tanks. The thruput, or amount of crude oil processed each day was 300 barrels which was converted to gasoline and fuel oils. Mr. F. K. Davis from Texas was the plant manager. The crude oil that Lloyd's Refinery used came from Toledo, through Chicago. Lloyds had 3 tankers that carried the oil up the Welland Canal, across the lake to Port Credit. The tankers were Bruce Hudson, Joan Virginia, and the Roy K. Russel, and were pulled by three tugs, Ajax, Ethel, and Muscallonge. All was not smooth sailing for the fleet, as the Bruce Hudson turned over on one of her trips. She had to be towed to Port Weller for turning right side up and then back to Port Credit where the remaining oil was pumped off. Before going back into service the Bruce Hudson was cleaned and the necessary repairs made.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850