Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3033 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lloyd Tanker Roy K. Russel
Identifier: TX0015
Date of Original Photo: 1937
Image Type: B&W Photo, 5.5x9.5 cm
Subject: Tankers
Donor: Texaco Canada Ltd
Location: 250 Lakeshore Road West

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Lloyd Tanker Roy K. Russel aground off Godfrey's Bay. Lloyd's Refinery was erected in 1932 on the site of the old Port Credit Brick Yard by L. B. Lloyd of Lloyd’s Tankers and went by the name of Lloyd Refineries Ltd. It consisted of a small crude Stilling Unit and nine storage tanks. The thruput, or amount of crude oil processed each day was 300 barrels which was converted to gasoline and fuel oils. The crude oil that Lloyd's Refinery used came from Toledo, through Chicago. Lloyd's had 3 tankers that carried the oil up the Welland Canal, across the lake to Port Credit. The tankers were Bruce Hudson, Joan Virginia, and the Roy K. Russel, and were pulled by three tugs, Ajax, Ethel, and Muscallonge. In the fall of 1937 the Roy K. Russel ran aground in Godfrey's Bay, just west of the refinery. In the spring the Russel was refloated and towed to Hamilton where she became scrap. The Joan Virginia, compared to the other tankers, led a charmed life.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851