Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5371 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Streetsville War Memorial (Cenotaph)
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville War Memorial (Cenotaph)
Identifier: PH1327
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1926
Image Type: B&W Photo, 13x9 cm.
Subject: War memorials - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: Main Street, pt. Lot 4, Conc 4 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Corner of Main Street and Queen Street. Conc 4 WHS, pt. Lot 4. Built in 1926 and officially unveiled on July 1 of that year by Major-General François Louis Lessard, C. B. The cenotaph is built of red brick and grey sandstone. The top of the square brick column is capped with grey sandstone and bears a bronze Celtic cross with a glass centre, which originally held an electric light. There are bronze tablets on all four sides of the shaft and the lower embrasures. The east face of the shaft has a lancet-shaped bronze plaque illustrating a stricken soldier in the foreground and a crucifix in the background with the words "Greater love hath no man". A square bronze tablet in the lower embrasure shows a wreath. The north face lancet-shaped plaque has a sword of sacrifice; the embrasure tablet below is inscribed "To the Great War they went from us - and for us But they did not return - to us Erected A.D.M.G. And in their abiding memory by the Streetsville Overseas Veterans Club Through the generous support of present and former residents of this Village July MCMXXVI." The lancet-shaped plaque of the west face shows an angel holding a wreath. The square commemorative tablet below is inscribed: "1939 - 1945 in memoriam Howard Arthurs, John Fellows, Donald Hawn, Charles Hersom, Alfred Innes, Kenneth Parker, Hauley Primrose, Davis Thompson, their names shall live forever, erected by the Citizens of Streetsville and vicinity "November 11, 1947". The south face lancet-shaped plaque shows the sword of sacrifice. The square tablet below is inscribed: "1914 - 1918 Their names liveth forever more Alex Carrington, Wm. H. Clipperton, G. Davis, James Dunn, Ralph Edwards, James Eggleston, Arthur Gould, Floyd Graydon, Gordon B. Kipp, John Malone, R. Morton, W. Noseworthy, Hubert McCaugherty, Harry Smith, Harold Statia, William Still". Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850