Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1381 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cotton-Hawksworth House, Chimney, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: Cotton-Hawksworth House, Chimney, Port Credit
Identifier: PH1422
Date Built: ca 1856
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 1234 River Road, Plan 323, pt. Block A, Conc Range 1 CIR

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1234 River Road, Plan 323, Block A, Range 1 CIR. This is a three-bay fašade, two storey building of log construction with a medium pitch gable roof. According to Perkins Bull, Robert Cotton and his family came to Canada in 1837 from County Roscommon, Ireland, and purchased several parcels of land in the southern half of Toronto Township, particularly in the Port Credit area. Robert Cotton does not show up in the 1851 census, but he is listed in the 1837 City of Toronto and the Home District Commercial Directory as living at Conc 1 NDS, Lot 16, which would be in the village of Cooksville, and the 1851 census for Cooksville did not survive. In 1856 Cotton purchased part of Lot 2, C.I.R., Range 1 where the present building stands. Bull states that the house was built of logs from the old Indian Mission Meeting House which was bought by Cotton. Robert Cotton was a farmer and merchant, who served as Postmaster for Port Credit from 1856 to 1885. He also ran the general store on the west bank of the river in Port Credit. This store was destroyed in the fire of 1855 and Cotton set up a second store on the east bank of the Credit, which was later bought by James Hamilton. Cotton held several offices in the community including that of Manager of the Port Credit Harbour Company. He died March 19, 1885 and is buried in the cemetery at St. Peter's Erindale. He had previously passed the homestead on to this son, James W. Cotton, shortly after James's marriage to Susan Barber, daughter of Robert Barber. The house remained in the Cotton family until it was sold by Cyril E. Cotton in 1943. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. This undated photo is of the chimney on the rear addition.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850