|Description: The late Frank Dowling (1914-1998) was born and raised in the bricked farmhouse. Frank Dowling is renowned for being elected Streetsville’s first mayor when the village became a town in 1962. Dowling also served on the village council for many years, beginning in 1949. This service included reeve from 1958 to 1959. Dowling’s father and grandfather, John and James respectively, were also Streetsville politicians and also resided in this house.
James Dowling purchased the property in 1886. It then comprised an existing large farm that included the Canada Brick lands to the north and the Credit Valley Railway junction to the east. Accordingly, it was called “Junction Farm.” The abode predates the Dowlings. It is a typical late nineteenth century centre-gable farmhouse plan, though the gable is perpendicular to Britannia Road. After sixty years in the family, Frank Dowling’s mother Mary Alice Hepton Dowling sold the farm in 1946; its subsequent owner subdivided it.|
|Copyright: City of Mississauga|
|Agency: Planning & Heritage, Community Services|